Daystar recognises that for many students, their basic needs are not met. To address this issue Daystar provides essentials such as toiletries, towels, Winter clothing, food items and stationery to children and families in need. We also provide financial assistance to the schools from time to time to enable a special experience for students.
At present Daystar provides this service on an ad-hoc basis following requests from families or identification of such needs by Daystar volunteers.
The local community and some of our corporate partners support our Basic Needs Drives as required.
Past corporate Basic Needs Drives have included:
- Food items - non-perishable food to feed students and their families
- Back to School Backpacks for students which included essential stationery items and a dictionary
- Winter Woollies appeals with donations of socks, blankets, jumpers and the like
- Mother's Day donations so students have presents for their Mums on Mother's Day
- Hundreds of dollars worth of general stationery items used in Homework Club and given to the schools
For Campbellfield Public School, Daystar provided a financial contribution to enable the engagement of a major Aboriginal Dance Troupe to help all the children celebrate National Aboriginal Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) week.